Image Map

Friday, November 30, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I made this months ago but didn’t want to blog about it until I seen first what all the Pinterest fuss was about, lol. I had been seeing homemade tutorials like this forever but I’m always late on the bandwagon. It wasn’t until my banker that was helping us buy the house gave me a sample and the recipe that made me fall in love (I’m not sure where she got her source but I’m sharing it with you and there are plenty of Pinterest sources if you click the link above). Oh, and the smell “had me from hello!” Love that clean smell!

Ingredients:
1 (4 lb 12 oz) box of Borax
1 (3 lb 7 oz) box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 (3 lb) container of OxyClean
3 bars of Fels Naptha soap (or you can use Zote soap)
1 (4 lb) box of Arm & Hammer baking soda (or you can get two 2 lb boxes from the cooking section because our store was completely out of the bigger boxes in the laundry section)
1 bottle of Purex Crystals
(next time I definitely think I want to add another bottle of this magical smelly good stuff)

You mix the Borax, Super Washing Soda, OxyClean, and baking soda together. This was tricky because I had just bought a Rubbermaid container, one of the smaller ones, and it was hard mixing everything together in that. So I highly recommend doing this all in a bucket or tub, then adding it to your storage container of choice. I added the Purex Crystals. Now comes the aggravating part, lol. You have to grate the cheese soap. It only took about 15-20 minutes to grate but it was the most time consuming step. You pour the soap in and mix everything really well and VOILA, you have enough laundry detergent to last a year (so my banker says =) You do not have to use much at all so I believe it will last a year. I only use about 2 tbsp. and it works great. It even does well with my cold water washes.

Homemade laundry detergent

Homemade laundry detergent3

Happy washing! Because I know I’ll not only be starting to move into the new house this week but I’ll be washing too, lol.

1 comment:

  1. I have also wanted to make homemade for a long time. Still not sure because I really prefer liquid. On the soap...could you put it in a food processor I wonder????

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!